Thursday, June 6, 2013

DIY Target Chair Makeover

Hello, everyone! I have for you today my recent chair makeover. I got this chair on clearance at Target for $10 (I think it was originally $20, so a pretty good deal) and I've had it for awhile, but now that my room is coming together and the accent colors have pretty much picked themselves (these were not my original accent colors, not even close!), I had to do something with the stark red color.
The red Target office chair. It sticks out like a sore thumb right now. That's going to

I started by tracing a rough template on paper with a pencil. These were not by any means totally accurate, I just needed something to help me cut out the basic pieces for the covers.
I cut the back piece on the fold and the seat piece on two folds, so now I have these. Man, are they wrinkled. A quick iron will fix that!

I decided to add stripes to the covers, so I snagged two curtain tiebacks (please don't tell my mom) and stitched them in place with white thread.

I pinned the whole back piece in place and made adjustments and cuts to fit it in place all the way around. I had to do the top first and then the center bottom, the sides, and then the rest of the bottom.

If you are noncommittal like me, you may not want to permanently attach this just yet. I stapled mine in place.

The whole cushion stapled in place. I went to bed so I could get a fresh look at it the next day.

And if you still like it the next day (I did), remove the staples and pin the cover back in place. Be sure to smooth it out, unlike me.

Stitch the cover in place with matching or contrasting thread. I used dark red, so it shows in some spots, but is totally hidden around the stripe.  

And once you secure your threads and snip the excess, you now have a chair to be happy to see! Or at least, I am...I have issues.
Have a wonderful Thursday!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment