I tried Paleo, and will someday attempt vegetarian (my system can't handle coconut milk, so no vegan for me right now). There are some things I don't want to give up eating and some things I can't go without eating, and that's my personal decision. But so far I have:
- Cut my sugar intake way down - I don't eat alot of sweets anymore; occasionally, but other than the occasional bowl of cereal, I don't eat it much.
- No more processed meats - hotdogs and bologna. I'll sometimes snag a piece of my nieces fried hotdog but I don't eat this stuff anymore. once you watch certain TV shows, they can change the way you see certain foods. On that note, no more canned sausages, either, actually. (Vienna sausages)
- Carbs reduced - I don't eat much bread unless I have a burger or the occasional Subway. I do still eat pasta, just not often. Maybe once a week, if that!
- Reduced fried foods - Maybe once a week since we eat junk on Friday nights.
- More fruits/vegetables - I eat grapes. Alot of grapes. They are also naturally sugary. I can't win. But I will nibble on veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes) while I cook so I don't snack on something loaded with salt or sugar.
- Sodas and sugary drinks - I don't drink much soda anymore. Again, occasionally. We don't even make Kool-Aid much anymore because it doesn't go as fast anymore, so that wasn't hard to cut out.
However, as with everything, I still have things I need to work on, such as:
- Eating breakfast EVERYDAY. Some days I'm not hungry and I don't force myself to eat but then I'm starving later and my stomach doesn't understand quiet.
- Snacking unnecessarily - I have a huge problem with this.
- Figuring out my goal and weighing myself regularly - I don't know what number I want to get down to, but I'll never know if I don't step on a scale except randomly one day and I happen to have just eaten...
- Exercise - I have a perfect routine planned, I just need time to go the gym on campus. They have an indoor track that's 1/9th of a mile and I did 4 or 5 laps with a friend the day they gave us a tour -- so I know I can handle that! And the treadmills have TELEVISIONS on them! But I would be totally happy with just my ipod the whole time.
Thanks for reading!